Thursday 19 May 2011

Liverpool Cathedral

My dear friend J had a birthday  - I didn't know what to buy her - so I said I would take her out and buy her lunch - wherever she wanted - and she asked to do the tour of

I really love this cathedral - I have so many great memories.

When I was little, and a member of the Girls Brigade, we went there every year for parades services - I remember going one year and my mother telling me that the cathedral had finally been finished after 76 years of building.

I remember big services there for special events - the 250th anniversay of Aldersgates Sunday where they opened the great west doors and we all walked out into the evening sunshine after the service.

My Mister A had his degree graduation there (twice!), my BiL and SiL were married there, my nieces Little Miss M and Little Miss C were Christened there (though what I mostly remember from that day is chasing a non verbal, nearly 2 year old Mr B all over the great space - in very high heels). 
When I doing my teacher training at Liverpool University and I was really missing the inspiration of Oxford   - I would go to the cathedral, and sit looking down into the Lady Chapel and pray.
It was just lovely to spend a couple of hours rediscovering the building and finding out new facts and details.


It was a VERY windy day - but even so we braved the trip to the top of the tower!

No comments: