Monday 23 February 2009

Indulgence set free

Saturday was the eagerly awaited trip to Stratford - and fortunately A was feeling up to it after his nasty dental work on Friday.



It was a beautiful day - like spring is coming - and perfect for the drive down. We had time for a mooch around the shops before heading to the theatre - (I love the courtyard theatre - the stage is perfect - it doesn't feel like a temporary building to me anymore)





After all the reviews, I was completely hyped about the production - and it didn't disappoint!



Yes - it was very African. Magnificently so. The puppety and song and dance conjuring the spirit of the continent. I was struck by details - like Ariel playing a harp identical to the one B tried out in the SLavery Muuseum earlier in the week.


Anthony Sher was perfect - it's been a long time since I last saw him on stage ( as Cyrano at the Playhouse sometime in the mid nineties - I can't track down the date) - and he was fautless. I could listen to him speak verse all day.



And yet, it was Atandwa Kani as Ariel and John Kani as Caliban who lifted this into something so special. I cried as Ariel was released from his servitude, and as Prospero left the island, and Caliban threw down his crutches and stood upright I was lost.

A production to treasure.

No comments: