Tuesday 12 May 2009

Dream on - The Big Giant Head


On top of the old spoil tip at Sutton Manor - there is a very large concrete and marble white giant head - a piece of public art called The Dream, funded by Channel 4's Big Art project.


We watched it being pieced together over the last few weeks, and at first we were rather disappointed. It seemed to be smaller than I expected. It isn't as vi sable as I imagined. And when seen from afar the outline isn't very distinct.


BUT - I drive right past it 3 or 4 days every week on my way to work - and I have fallen in love with it. I love the way it changes as the sun moves. In the morning, with the sun in the east I see it in shadow. At home time it often shines in the light. I love the way the that sometimes it blends into the grey St Helens sky, but at other times it stands out. I love spotting it over the houses and through the trees. Every day it makes me smile.

So tonight M and I walked up to The Dream - and close up it is just beautiful. There is still some work being done, and for now it is still fenced off - but soon you will be able to walk right up to it and touch it. Hopefully the vandals will keep away.



The head is elongated, but modelled on a nine year old girl - eyes shut, dreaming over the landscape. So my ten year old decided to model too!

2 comments:

a said...

Wonderful to see a personal account of it and how lovely that you can get so close. I can imagine how the evening light must be pretty amazing on it too. Thanks for sharing this, really enjoyed it

Gallifrey said...

Sometimes the thing disappoints me - I think they could have done something more. Other nights I am leaving work and seeing her against a contrasting sky takes my breath away.