Tuesday 3 April 2012

My 1 in 88


I am pointedly ignoring World Autism Awareness Day.

I started off the day reading blogs and Facebook - 
but the sheer level of stupidity out there is driving me insane. 

It's like a new age festival of pseudo science - 
with some doctors hailed as heroes while they cynically make a fortune out of pedalling supplements, vitamins, antibiotics, antivirals, chelating agents etc.

For the record.

Mr Ben is autistic - and he is gorgeous.

He was born this way - it's who he is.

We love him and we nurture him and we teach him.

And he learns - and he changes - and today he folded his arms at me and tried to be cheeky - and that doesn't change who he is.

{ And because no matter how I try -  I really can't ignore it - 1 in 88 children in America are diagnosed with Autism - but it's not an epidemic - the children were always there - a bit different - a bit odd - I can name children I taught 20 years ago who didn't have a diagnosis, but who were far more autistic than many with a diagnosis today - that is all }

1 comment:

debi10kids said...

What a handsome sweet boy, just as God made him, cheeky and all ;)