Monday 23 July 2012

Two Funerals

This morning Jonathan and I went to meet the rest of the family in Whitefield for Auntie Margaret's Funeral.

She died just over a week ago at the fantastic age of 93.

My mum's dad's sister, she'd never married - and so her great nieces and nephew were surrogate grandchildren.

As a  child I loved her house - full of ornaments and nick nacks.
Pottery horses and cats.
The fabulous rotating photo cube.
And the "secret" attic.

She always served chocolate biscuits and fancy cakes with tea or juice when we visited in the afternoon.

I love this picture of her holding Megan at Meg's Christening in 1998 - even though she didn't approve of it herself!



Meanwhile Megs was attending a very different Funeral -
for her classmate Lewis
who died the night of their school Arts Evening.

Megs was really concerned about what she should wear - and  took herself shopping on Saturday to buy an appropriate outfit.

She has been so mature over the horrible events, and has been comforting friends who played in rock band with Lewis and were very close to him.

I was so worried about her going to her first funeral without me - but the clash of dates meant that I couldn't be there with her.

But she packed her bag with tissues that she shared with her friends - she held their hands and hugged them -
 I'm so proud of her.




No comments: